The problem with the United Nations Human Rights Council and similar international bodies is that who participates in them are not required to be qualified, but are required to be from as different countries as possible.
They are not required to be representatives of countries with high human rights and freedom of press index. They are only required to be from different places in the world. In other words, representatives from dictatorships such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia and China can become members to defend the same thing they are systematically and deliberately violate!
It’s not discrimination nor imperialism that the most qualified states be the only ones to participate in a human rights council! If the rest of countries want to participate, they must respect human rights and enhance freedoms.
The idea that we need to hold different types of people to positions, destroys all the meanings of human rights and equal opportunity, if it was only made for sake of differentiation, not for equal opportunity for all.
Whether you like it or not, the USA, Israel and any western European country have much higher index in human rights and freedoms! This means only one thing, that they are more qualified to protect human rights and freedoms than other dictatorships.
* UN Watch: Germany promises dictatorships “no confrontation” to win UNHRC seat
* Thor Halvorssen: Chavez and Nazarbayev Celebrate Tyrannical Victory at U.N. Human Rights Council
* Human Rights Watch: UN: Noncompetitive Elections Weaken Rights Council
* Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies: Ministry of Foreign Affairs cancels invitations to advocacy groups to meet with EU; President excludes rights organizations from meeting with “civil society” (2012/11/13)
* Times of Israel: Egyptian rights groups excluded from EU meeting… likens Morsi government to Mubarak regime (2012/11/13)
* National Post: UNHRC exhibits at the entrance to its meeting hall, two pieces of art, one donated by Egypt’s Mubarak regime (2013/2/22)
* Commentary: How UNRWA Steals Money from Those Who Need It Most (2013/4/18)
* Hillel Neuer: What’s wrong with U.N.’s human rights council (2013/10/31)
* CNS News: Authoritarian States Try to Silence Speaker at UN Rights Council: ‘He Should Not be Given the Floor’ (with video; 2014/3/25)